Friday, October 27, 2006

Bila Takbir Bergema

What a journey…

Yes, it was. It was on Saturday afternoon – after Asar, to be exact – that I decided to 'balik kampong'. Initially, the journey back was promising even when you take into consideration the mamak who virtually slaughtered us with his pricey (and may I add, unpalatable) curry at a restaurant in a quaint, small town three hours away from Kuala Lumpur. Yes, that was where we broke our fast. But that did not dampen our festive spirit. In fact, my Elvis was singing non-stop his latest craze, a song entitled “But It’s Better If You Do So” by Panic! At The Disco. Musical bands today have such funny names, wouldn’t you agree?

It was only when we reached the next town, that the nightmare began. As we were ascending the steep hills, traffic was at almost a standstill. I had frightening thoughts that probably an accident had occurred ahead of us. Thankfully, it was only a very heavy lorry in the way. Still……

So how was my Raya?

It wasn’t so much of the celebration, neither the place nor the food. Instead, it was more of spending time together with my aged mother. Raya this time around was all about her. In fact, I was hardly moving around, going out. I wasn't even going around visiting my relatives. Time was not only short, but also precious to me and the children. It was more of me staying at home and reminding my children to go sit down and make small talk with their grandmother.

What made me feel so proud was when Bea and my only daughter helped my mother to 'mandi sunat Eidulfitri'. My old mother was so touched by this gesture of kindness that she couldn’t help but cry. In fact, she cries a lot now. When we salam, kiss and hug her on Raya morning, tears roll down her cheeks. Deep down inside, I know that they are tears of happiness. And I am the kind of person that can’t help but feel choked with emotion everytime I see another person crying. As she was being bathed, my mother asked Bea whether she (Bea) had the opportunity to do the same thing with her own mother. Bea replied that she did not have that chance. You see, my mother-in-law suffered for only a brief period before passing away due to cervical cancer, which was only discovered at a very late stage.

That simple episode, to me, was a chance for Bea to do something which she never got to do with her own mother. And for my own mother, it was an opportunity for her to see another side of her daughter-in-law which she has never seen before this.

I’ve told you that I am now helping to repair my mother’s house to make it more comfortable for her. As a result, she is at present staying with my eldest sister, whose house is just a couple of houses away. I was hoping that the renovation work would be complete before Raya, but it turned out that progress was a bit slow. This is how the repaired house looks like, as of now. What do you think? Can it be ready by Raya Haji?



Raya pics

Mama Sarah and Mynn were asking for my Raya pictures, but unfortunately, the only pictures that I can share with readers here would be the one above and the one below. So, to both Mynn and Mama Sarah, can I present you with a bouquet instead?



Sorry Mynn and Mama Sarah. You see, if Pycno shows himself, then he will have to stop blogging. You wouldn’t want that, would you? Both DITH and Ikelah already know the reason to this because we’ve already met in person. But believe me Mynn, as a ‘celebrity’, I am quite sure that you’ve seen me around. Try looking back in all the entertainment magazines that you possess, or you can either go to the World Wide Web. I’m really, really sure that you must have seen me once or twice without realizing that it was me. Here’s a tip for you: Wikipedia hehehehe……Sorry, just kidding Mynn. But don’t worry. I’ll reveal my true self when the time is right.

Lastly, much as I’ve reminded DITH to start on Puasa 6 as soon as possible, I’m ashamed to admit that I haven’t started with my own. But I’ll get to it. I promise. Let’s have a challenge to see who’ll finish first, shall we?

Selamat Hari Raya everyone :)

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the 'photos' Pycno. Kira gambar juga lah tu.

And I'm very much choked as well with Bea and your only daughter kind gestures towards your mom.

i like how you train your children to respect their elderly, esp the make small talk with their grandmother bit. Unlike some kids nowadays - orang khutbah pun boleh main PSP!

and when asked to make conversations with orang kampung - the reply was 'nak cakap apa?' as if trying to say, 'we have nothing in common' sort of thing.

haiyo... saya sedang berleter kah? alamak sorry, selamat hari raya pycno & keluarga. seribu kemaafan dipinta.

(p/s: jom puasa 6!)

Anonymous said...

Pycno and Bea,

Alhamdulillah that your raya was well spent with good deeds. The house looks neat but I wonder if sempat siap for Raya Haji eh?

Puasa enam? Tak mula lagi sebab baru balik hari ni and banyak sngt programme. Insyallah start Monday!

Bea, you've got lovely sisters!

Anonymous said...

p.s. Oops I thought they were your sisters Bea! I got em wrong!

Jalilah said...

Assalamualaikum
Selamat Hari Raya and Maaf Zahir Batin to Pycno, Bea and your family. Hope you had a wonderful raya. I bet pycno dapat lepaskan rindu kat mak, right? I am sorry for the late wish since I haven't been online for quite some time but that seemed to be the case for me lately. argh...
Anyway, what Bea and your daughter did was noble. Orang-orang tua senang terharu, as I have seen happened to my mother.
Rumah tu macam tak sempat siap je Pycno by raya haji, but who am I to say? I am not a certified architect or whatnot. Hihi...

Selamat Puasa 6 ye. I will start as soon as I go back to uni, insyaAllah :-)

Anonymous said...

what a meaningful raya. i celebrated my raya with my dad, stepmother, inlaws, brothers and sisters even on different days.

on malam raya, we had good food; again the ikan temelian and kari kambing.

however, the best food for raya was kambing pacak at pagi raya at KKL's parents house(sorry, just love daging kambing).

Selamat berpuasa enam, we will be starting this coming monday, InsyaAllah.

ayumi said...

Salaam..

What Bea and your daughter did certainly drew me to tears.. It's nice to know that people still do care.

Selamat hari raya to Pycno and family. Maaf zahir dan batin..

Anonymous said...

pycno
alamak, sorry in the busy-ness of my oncall, I've completely missed your entry.

what a touching story, especially of Bea and your mother ... even though your raya was quiet and you didn't get to visit many places, I sensed that the raya was a very meaningful one to you and your family.

i also appreciate all the pictures - don't worry if it's not of yourself, as i wasn't expecting it anyway :p - but seeing your mother's house sets the scene. I was expecting pictures of the family though, even if it's minus you :p

in a way pycno, i'm quite glad i don't know your real celebrity-identity, because to a regular person e.g. like me, i tend to stereotype certain celebrities. knowing you from what you write (and thus, what you think) makes your personality stand out without any pre-judgements or bias. to me, you're just our regular friendly pakcik (sorry!!) pycno :) and dith is our regular ustazah yang kelakar, hehehe.

Ikelah
ditto my friend, i love kambing and lamb. yum yum.

Jamil said...

mynn

You'd be surprised if you knew who pycno really was. Mesti tak sangka-sangka hihihi.....

And pycno, you sound as if you had a good Raya. That's what Raya really is about - spending time with family. It's the people that you celebrate with that makes it meaningful.

pycnogenol said...

Mama Sarah - Thank you MS. InsyaAllah, puasa 6 bermula Isnin ini.

DITH - Alhamdulillah Raya was indeed well spent. Trips to and from kampung too was Alhamdulillah, selamat. Thanks for the duas.

Jalilah - Selamat Hari Raya to you too. Back in Uni already? Ada exams ke?

Ikelah - That used to be our tradition too...berbuka with my dad last day of Ramadhan. I can still remember the last 'berbuka puasa' session with my late dad. He wasnt eating much, but was seated on the chair looking and observing at all his grand-children. I can still remember that serene smile on his face.
BTW, kambing pacak on Raya morning sounds so good and mouth-watering. Pycno pun dah mula nak mengembbeeek di sini....;)

Ayumi - Yes Ayumi, I am indeed so proud of both of them. Selamat Hari Raya to you too. ;)

Mynn - Still oncall? Well, you have to pay the price for your Paris trip, kan? :(
Dont worry Mynn, you'll get to see ALL of us (and take pictures too) when you're back in Malaysia. Just make sure that your DSLR is in perfect-working condition. ;)

And I like it that way too, Mynn. What you read in my entries are straight from my heart. So, when you see me in person, remember 'Pakcik Pycno' that you got to know from HIS entries, rather than the ones you've read in the magazines. Gossip2 ni jangan di percaya!!

Hiyoshi - As a young man, Yoshi should feel so blessed to have personally known Pycno. ;) Remember your promise not to reveal Pycno's identity, okay?

Best of luck for your exams young man!!

Anonymous said...

everyone especially ikelah, dith, hiyoshi etc, has been saying "oh mynn & PMS, wait till you see pycno ... you'd be shocked/thrilled/surprised..." seriously, i'm at a loss to even try to attempt a guess at pycno's identity. in other words, i could only try to exclude who pycno probably isn't. The bravest i could even try is, "takkan dato K kot, kalau dato K sure tak membazir masa nak blog sekarang ni ..."

*followed by gelak sendiri*

Anonymous said...

re: pycno's identity

PMS baru explain,

HAHAHAHA
I get it!!!!!!! ... can't believe it took me almost a year to get the joke (kalau betul lah PMS' theory).

Jamil said...

mynn

Oooh...Wonder what was it that Puan Mama Sarah said that got you bursting out loud with laughter?

Anonymous said...

that was me laughing at myself hiyoshi because EVERYONE has been dropping subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, hints. but because before this i wasnt that interested in finding out who pycno was so i didnt even think about the clues. i wasnt interested in finding out who pycno was because regarding celebrities in malaysia, the only one i know is siti nurhaliza, that's it! Hehehe (10 tahun kat luar negara).

but now that PMS has explained, it's like the ending of Unusual Suspects, suddenly all the clues merge together and everything makes sense.

hence the laugh hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Salam Pycno, Nurelhuda here, I have changed my blogger ID.Anyway Selamat Hari Raya , Maaf Zahir Batin, Any chance of a Hari Raya Bloggers Meet? My treat this time?

pycnogenol said...

Mynn - Pycno turut tergelak sama!! And tell you what Mynn and Mama Sarah....you're coming back soon, kan? Let's wait and see who's gonna have the last laugh? ;)

Hiyoshi - Send me your e-mail address. I can mail you something that will send you bursting with laughter too.

Mynn again - Dont laugh at yourself just yet. Nothing is conclusive until you come face to face with the mystery man himself.

Dr.Think - You are indeed the answer to Mynn and Mama Sarah's prayers. I'll cancel ALL appointments just to be there at the Bloggers Meet - on one condition.....no taking of Pycno's pics okay? Mynn and Mama Sarah will have to be there jugak!! :)

Tapi dah habis puasa 6 ke Dr.Think? I'm only going into my 2nd day tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

your identity is getting more and more interesting.

in reference to the theories, we too had our theories before meeting pycno in person..... ;)... dato' la...tan sri laaa... tun laaa... encik laaa... dr la.... saudara la.... mcam macam mathematical equations kami buat. so sekarang mynn and mama sarah pun dah mula buat theory sendiri... ;)

we have started the puasa 6. malam tadi kami sempat ziarah rakan sekerja yang bapanya meninggal less than 2 hours before our arrival. we happened to be at the hospital when was told about the 'sudah sampai ajal' as said by the son.

selamat berpuasa 6 dan semoga dilimpahNya rahmat dan keberkatan.

Anonymous said...

geez whizz, i thought i had closure but the mystery deepens! to be honest, before this i wasnt that curious but lately as everyone has started cucuk, cucuk my curiosity has piqued (or more accurately; peaked).

Anonymous said...

oh dear, i'm not getting anything from you eh? Oklah, I declare myself quitting from the teka teki.

heh heh... (i doubt that though)

Anonymous said...

PMS is still not convinced pycno hehehe. she still thinks she's right

Anonymous said...

hmm..pycno=Datuk P?? heh

Anonymous said...

Another round of subtle (and not so subtle) hints regarding pycno's identity eh? ;) Don't worry mynn and mama sarah, I'm sure once you finally get to meet him face to face, it will be something well worth the wait.. hehe.

Touching account of your 'Eid celebration.

Anonymous said...

crimsonskye
i hope my knowledge of celebrities is enough that i don't embarrass myself by asking pycno, "urm, pakcik ni sapa?"