Thursday, August 31, 2006

Bangkok Part 1 (reason why I was on pause mode)

Bangkok is hot and humid this time of the year. Yes Mama Sarah, that was what Bea presented me with for my last birthday - a holiday in Bangkok!! She knew that I had such a great time the last time we were there, and that was December last year. We had such a wonderful holiday with the whole family (except for my eldest), in Bangkok last year and I have not stopped talking about it. Bea must have sensed that I wanted to go to Bangkok again, and that would have also been a good opportunity for me to take my eldest son with me for a holiday cum bonding session. Unfortunately that was not to be, for my son had to be back in College for some programme.

Ah well…you guys would know me by now. I don’t really need company to have a good time all by myself. In fact my entry of Saturday, August 19th, was to mentally prepare readers of my blog for what’s coming in this entry. Yes, I was all myself holidaying in Bangkok for one whole week!!

(That was my hotel in Bangkok)

Grand Tower Inn Rama IV is situated on prime location with easy access to major business and shopping areas. Visitors can take full advantage of easy access to the expressway with Rama VI exits both northbound andsouthbound nearby. In addition, BTS sky train (Saphan Khwai Station) is within a few minutes walking distance.

I find travelling by BTS sky train so convenient.

They have bigger and more spacious trains.

I bought myself the unlimited day-travel ticket, and that will take me to any of the following destinations:

(For a mere 100 bahts, you can travel to any of the above destinations the whole day long)

On Sunday, 20th August, Chatuchuk market was my first destination.

This has to be any serious shoppers’ priority itinerary in Bangkok. It was so hot, and I sweated so much, but it was okay because it was so much fun, and I got so many great deals. This market is indescribable - you really can't understand the enormity of it until you see it yourself. Essentially, it's just a bunch of stalls that you can find good deals at (if you know how to bargain), but really it was so much more because you shop with the locals. It isn't like shopping at the souvenir stalls on the street. I expected to see many more tourists at the market, but really, the locals seemed to outnumber us by far. You will see things that are so odd and quite hilarious and unexpected. I’m not going into the details of that. My advice: Try to arrive fairly early - it'll be less busy and slightly cooler; Drink lots of water; Don't be afraid to bargain, but if that's not your thing, you'll still get a reasonable deal. Believe me,you’ll have lots of fun!

(To be continued...)

8 comments:

mynn said...

wahhhhhhhhhhhhh

cayalah ..... very222 nice. rarely we see photos in your new blog Pycno, nice to see them.

makes me want to go there.

Mama Sarah said...

you must really22222222 love your Bea double22222 much more after that gift huh?

Your Bea is such a sport! What with your 3 hari 2 malam, now this.

Me tabik your Bea. I don't know if I'd do the same. I could try. But I don't know if that someone would enjoy the trip alone without the noisy wife & kids.

pycnogenol said...

Mynn - It took me a long time to finally be able to get those pics there. ;)

Mama Sarah - Told you that Bea is my rose without a thorn...;)

So Mynn, a good opportunity for you to get MS to grant you the license now. Mama Sarah can no longer go back on her words...she wants to try. You saying YES, would be a great help to realise Mama Sarah's lifelong ambition to finally trust and let Mynn go...;)

Mama Sarah said...

Pycno, i have just remembered something. Mynn almost had his 10 days away from the family. I did all the ticket booking and all. But I think Allah knows better. He's not going away after all. PRobably you'll know about this more when the time comes.

btw, mynn has always had his 3-4 hari without the family to himself. Until today! He has given up his room at the hospital.

Mama Sarah said...

Nanti kita balik msia nanti, nak ajak min shopping kat Golok lah. from what you have described, i bet Golok mesti lagi murah.

ayumi said...

Salaam..

My mom has been to Thailand and yes, she shopped a lot there. They've got good bargain, I heard. 100baht a day for all destination is a really good deal! But, how is the train service like? Is it like KTM (super-slow.. long waiting hours) or LRT (good on average)? Do Thai people queue up properly and let those inside exit the train before rushing in? My mom didn't take the train while she was in Thai, but she did ride the tut-tut (is that how you spell it?) She had the nightmare of her life. Haha.

Suriya said...

Bangkok ? Trafic JAM!!! Sky train a good idea..thanks for the tips..
I am still busy....my final exam is 5 -6 th September wish me luck!

Mama Pongkey said...

Wow. I really have oodles of respect or Bea... cayalah!

Love the idea of the train and the unimited travel card. Bila Malaysia nak buat ye?

Am looking forward to the next installation in the series.