Sunday, August 06, 2006

Fresh from the cauldron…

Thanks to my blogger friends, I’m 'forced' to come up with an entry. Much as this may be fresh from the cauldron, it was hurriedly prepared. Oh wait….there’s not much preparation really. I’m simply tapping away on the keyboard, hoping that I will get some inspiration as I go along.

Now let’s see what I have been up to the last couple of weeks. There was no dreaming, nor were there nightmares disrupting my sleep. Thank God!! No birthday parties either, (except kenakelayan’s birthday brash we had over cyber space). Otherwise, I’ve not been invited to any parties, not even to a Tupperwear party….huhu….that’s how popular I have been. I’ve been doing some kite-flying though, which is unavoidable, really. The little kite that we still have with us can be a real challenge at times. Other than that, there have been a series of meetings. One of such meetings was held on Friday, 4th August 2006.

That particular meeting was held at the PDRM College, Jalan Cheras. It is the first time I had a meeting there. My, the place is pretty impressive. We had to first climb this flight of grand staircase. Once in there, we were greeted by some police personnel who gave us the salute. To be honest, I don’t know how or what I should do when given this kind of salute. Usually, I will just nod and smile back to acknowledge. That may not be the right or proper etiquette, but somehow I can never bring myself to salute back.

The meeting was not only well attended, but there was also a good presentation and I must admit I was quite enlightened with all the explanation. Mind you, I just hate it when meetings are long winded, with many people eager to speak, but ended up not making much sense. Not this meeting. It was not too short, nor too long. Well chaired by the Commandant of the College, and members invited were all perfect gentlemen, Pycno including…ehem…ehem…Now wait, Bea attended the meeting too. Apa kerja si Bea and Pycno ni ye? Keep guessing folks…..(Ikelah and DITH, keep smiling)

After the meeting, we were invited to an early lunch (that being a Friday, and many of us had to rush for our Friday prayers). Now, just before lunch, a gentlemen with greyish-balding hair came to greet me and ask if I am Tun/Tan Sri/Dato/Tuan/Encik so-and-so, and if I can still recognise and remember him? I was stunned, and for a moment I was lost for words and was so embarrassed. There he was, this man, who remembered me from my London days ages ago, and he used to call me ABANG then. And I swear to you that you would pardon me had I called him Abang now. Mujur lah Pycno tak tersasul and ask him, apa nama Abang ye? In terms of age, I know that he is much younger than me, but I realised that he can no longer bring himself to call me by that title. I was cursing myself for not remembering his name, up till this very second I’m typing this entry. You think I should ask him at our next meeting? Tapi segan lah…our relationship was such that I’ve been to his place in London and had spent nights there and all, just as he had been to mine. How can I not remember his name?????? (See Mynn, your awet muda secret recipe can be a curse in this case ;)

All in all, that was one of the best lunches I’ve had for a long, long time. The food served was simple. Ikan Bawal Goreng Berlada, Sayur Kobis Cina, Sweet-Sour Big-Fresh Prawns, Chicken Curry, Soup Ekor and Plain Rice. Dessert was Fresh local fruits and plain Kopi-O.

However, meeting that long-lost-‘brother’-friend of mine was like finding a jewel that you thought you’ve lost forever. Even Bea said that he seemed a nice man. Now, I’m looking forward to our next meeting, which we will be hosting. I sure hope that we’ll be able to serve a decent lunch. More importantly though, I have to remember his name by then. I cannot keep calling him brother, much as he has been a dear brother to me, a long, long time ago and still is.

For now, I’m still scratching my itchy-less, non balding head in search of the name of that goody-baldy friend of mine…..Haiyya……HELP ME!!!!

14 comments:

dith said...

Are these meetings part of Shawshank's project? The menu you described is a typical iKelah's mouth-watering sort of lunch. So what sort of menu will you be serving them. Not Sushi eh? :p

Hey, dont you guys where name-tags or something for recognition? I hope you have by now, remembered this old friend's name or I'm afraid by the next meeting, there'll be another bald person attending!

p.s. someone pointed out that we spelled cauldron wrongly! hehe

dith said...

wear not where!

Mama Sarah said...

Call him MAT! I was told, the Brits selalu guna "Mike" (Melayunya Mat) or Jack (Melayunya Jaki Jipang) to those yang diorang tak sure namanya.

pycnogenol said...

DITH - Shawshank is an entirely different project. This is a new project with PDRM with the collaboration from another company that Mr. Baldy is representing.

I have no say with the kind of menu we'll be serving. Usually presentable, but I'm SURE we can never match the one served at PDRM. You know what? Bea was saying that the government must keep all those people at PDRM happy - thus, the good food!

I have my name tag, but it's not Pycno., and I seldom wear it. Except for the police, the rest of us were not wearing any name-tags. :(

And thanks for pointing out the mistake. Initially, I've spelt the word correctly, but upon checking with your entry, decided to trust my good friend, and not bothered with the dictionary. At least, we both get to learn the correct spelling of the word..hehe.. ;)

And if the wear is in tupperwear, I've corrected that too. Thanks!!

Mama Sarah - If you've met me, you'd know that I'm the type who will never call anybody Mat. It will ALWAYS be Mynn, Mama Sarah, Ikelah or DITH - yes, proper blogger names. ;) No, honestly, I'd prefer their REAL names, which reminds me...that I still do not know your real names. My guess is Muhaimin and Nisak. Your full names, please, if you guys dont mind.

Anonymous said...

tupperwear eja dia tupperware kan? unless ada a new clothing range made of plastic i wasnt aware of lah ;p (i'm not one to correct spelling mistakes as i make "atrocius" ones myself!)

pycno
well done for the impromptu entry! it kinda summarises the latest few entries around our blogo-minisphere. you know what, i know Ikelah, O-K's & KKL's real names but lately we've resorted to calling them by their blog names - how sad!

ps
a good trick to know someone's name you don't know is to ...
1. ... ask someone else who knows! surely in the meeting ada orang yang tahu nama your friend?
2. another tip is to asking for a business card, you know, to "contact him later"
3. yet another tip is: in meetings they usually give paper folders and some people write their names on those folders. just take a peek.

dith said...

NOORAZHARMUHAIMIN:

How about taking the person by the hand and softly say this :"mintak maap weii, koi ni doh tua benor, banyak menda doh lupa. Baru kejak tadi koi doh ingat nama awok sekrang doh lupa semula. Apa nama awok yek?" And dont forget to give him a toothy smile (which in this case could be less than a toothy smile! hehe)

Anonymous said...

Waaah, good idea eh bby. Exchange business cards is a good idea.

TApi paper folders tu macam budak2 sekolah je. Takkanlah Yang di Pertua/ Tun/Tan Sri/Dato/Tuan/Encik/Abang Pycno's level guna paper folder kat such a grand meeting?

And btw Bby, tu ke kerja you masa meeting? Intai nama 'orang' kat their folders eh?

Menarik pulak word verification hari ni: NSKoou

ayumi said...

Salaam..
I just HATE it when something like that happens. I won't be able to sleep at night, trying hard to recall that person's name...

Anonymous said...

Ahaha... I'm starting to forget people's names too. Especially the juniors at my school. Baru 3 tahun tinggal sekolah... very bad of me :(

pycnogenol said...

Mynn - So, it's a 3 in 1 name, eh?We can either call you Dr.Noor or Dr.Azhar or Dr.Muhaimin.

Honestly, now I'm not sure whether the word should be spelt with a ware or wear.

I quite like the blog-names...makes me feel young when everybody calls me Pycno...and I think they (the blog-names) can have their own unique character/s. Believe me Mynn, when you meet us in person, we may not be like what you imagine us to be. (DITH must be giggling right now)

BTW, thanks for the tips.

DITH - Exactly what I was saying to Mynn above. This is so not you DITH - in person. hehehe.....

One day you will know my name through my business card - Amboi, panjang benor nama dia kali ini....and yes, can we exchange business cards in cyber space, please?

Ayumi - Guess what? I STILL cannot recall his name. :(

Crimsonskye - I'm sure the juniors know and remember you because you are popular. In my line of work, I meet SO many people...celebrity katakan....:) so I know you will forgive me if I forget your name. You should feel honoured that Pycno knows and remembers both Crimsonskye and Habibah.

Mama Pongkey said...

:D I think you might know my real name by now. I am just uncomfortable plastering my name in blogs, it just feels like revealing too much. Recently someone I respect highly pronounced my name the Arabic way, which I think I will prefer from now on, inshaAllah. Heheheh I pity all my friends. :D

Jamil said...

Oh, I rarely stumble upon the problem of remembering names. Partly to my still "fresh" mind and partly due to the fact that nobody wants to introduce themselves to me.

The joy!

Anonymous said...

I always found myself in exactly the same situation of yours..I am bad in recalling someone else's name especially when they are older (senior) or younger (junior) than me..

Well i'm sure u have recall his name by now..

pycnogenol said...

Kenakelayan - Yes, I think I can figure out your name by now, though I'm still baffled by the tag, 'the manis'. Care to explain?
Do you really want us, your Malaysian friends, to pronounce your name the Arabic way??? ;))

Hiyoshi - Good for you to still be 'fresh', and do you want me to introduce you to them? (whoever they are!!) ;)

Cassablancha - I am senior to you, and you know that Maman is so very junior to you, too. Surely you've not forgotten our names, have you?? ;)
Unfortunately, tak ingat lagi lah.... :(